- The Fillmore Silver Spring is no longer just a hole in the ground fronted by a facade - it has now started to take the form of the music hall it will ultimately become. Check out a set of construction pics recently posted on Facebook.
- The Gulf station parking lot continues to be the epicenter of food truck activity in downtown Silver Spring. Here's the scene last Friday, where there were at least three active trucks (and one inactive) parked there at lunchtime.
|Photo via Twitter user @coderbrown.|
- Most amusing street name in Silver Spring: Bieber Place.
- Thayeravenue.com offers a quick look at the newly-opened Charm Thai, which replaced the short-lived Mr. Chicken restaurant on Georgia Avenue. (Good news: they deliver)
- While Shitty Place continues to rot, Wheaton Plaza is adding retailers like H&M. Wheaton can support this kind of store, but Silver Spring can not?
I'm beginning to think Shitty Place's only function is as some sort of corporate write-off, passed along from company to company when it outlives its usefulness. When the sale to Petrie Ross Ventures happened four years ago, the chairman of the company claimed they had "an exciting merchandising plan to create a prime destination for shoppers as well as current and future retailers.” Obviously, that particular plan was never implemented. Last summer it was bought by Hutensky Capital Partners, and they haven't done squat either. Unless Westfield or another real mall company buys it, nothing will ever change.
- Pacci's gets a rec in Bethesda Magazine.
- Finally, please refrain from having emergencies in Downtown Silver Spring until further notice.