|Photo by Flickr user karindalziel|
- Drat, the apocalypse is now scheduled for October 21st, just one day before this year's Zombie Walk. Perhaps we should move the date up a week.
- A book was returned to the Springbrook High library 42 years after it was due. With the all the fines accumulated during that time, perhaps the school library could use the funds to build its very own bridge.
- Unsurprisingly, there exists a band named after the Silver Spring Monkeys.
- That $1.6M house with the 50' pool in Woodside Park has sold. I expect to be receiving my pool party invite any day now.
- The National Pinball Museum, which once kind-of operated out of Silver Spring, is vacating its Georgetown Park home after just five months. I still think Silver Spring's Secret Movie Theater would have been a ideal location for the museum. For $300K I bet he could have fixed the place up adequately, plus there's probably little threat of a landlord evicting you from a basement that hasn't had a tenant in thirty years.
Speaking of underground pinball, do any long-term Silver Spring residents recall there once being a video/pinball arcade located in the basement of what is now Vicino Italian Restaurant on Sligo Avenue? We're talking the Pac Man and Donkey Kong era here. This may very well be one of those hazy, not-entirely-accurate early childhood memories, but I swear it was real (as was Santa Clause at the time). In reality, said arcade might very well have not existed, but in my research on the subject I did come across this 1975 newspaper ad for a club that at the time had recently opened in that same basement:
This appears to have been exactly the type of establishment one frequent commenter believes Silver Spring now sorely lacks.
- Finally, I know this happened last week and it occurred in SSINO, but it is still fantastic: