- Tonight (or technically tomorrow morning at 12:01) marks the grand opening of the Majestic's brand-new IMAX theater. The Harry Potter IMAX Experience midnight show, along with five(!) non-IMAX midnight screenings, has already sold out, but tickets are still available for the 3:05 AM (!!) show should you be really pressed to see it. Oh, and SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE! Wait, never mind, that was the last one.
If anyone does have the privilege of getting the IMAX "experience" tonight or tomorrow, please report back STAT. How large is the screen? How's the sound? Is it worth the $17.50 ticket price?
- The county has wisely extended the downtown Silver Spring police foot patrols, though only through June. As the Gazette article notes, unlike the downtown areas of Wheaton and Bethesda, patrols in Silver Spring are not permanent, but rather staffed by officers working overtime.
For those who haven't been before, the parade tends to be 50% emergency vehicles, 30% bands and other performance troupes, and 20% miscellaneous groups whose applications are rubber stamped by the organizers. The Redskins Marching Band usually performs, but perhaps they are too demoralized to do so this year after being forced to endure the entirety of Monday's abomination in Raljon.
Following last year's parade I was thinking we should really have zombies march to represent the Zombie Walk, but I totally dropped the ball on that one. Next year, perhaps.
- One thing that will not be happening this weekend is the grand opening of Silver Spring's ice skating rink. It was originally scheduled to open in conjunction with the parade, but thanks to to the usual MoCo bureaucratic nonsense, the date is now TBD. (Mid-summer 2011, perhaps?) But hey, the Civic Center and ice rink were supposed to be open years ago, so what's a few more months?
Speaking of the ice rink, was the shelter always lit by changing-colored lights at night? I just noticed that for the first time yesterday evening.
- Congratulations (?) to Silver Spring's own Erik McMillan, who was recently named by Deadspin as one of the 100 worst NFL players of all time. As Silver Spring defensive backs go, he's certainly no Shawn "Silver" Springs.
- For those of you who shop at the American Apparel in Silver Spring, Groupon has a great deal today: $25 for $50 Worth of In-Store Clothing and Accessories (while supplies last). Say what you want about the company, but they do have comfy sweatshirts.
- Silver Spring is (sort of) getting a Wal-Mart. The retailer has plans to open four new stores in D.C. by 2012, and one of them will be located at the corner of Georgia and Missouri, just minutes from downtown Silver Spring.