- The owner of Frozen Yogurt store Tangysweet is considering Silver Spring as an additional location after recently opening a store in Dupont Circle. I'd still prefer a fancy gelato place like Bethesda Row now has. (And again, I know Kefa Cafe has gelato, but it's not open at night so it doesn't count.) Could there also also be a Fatburger in our future? I just hope it would be open at two in the morning.
- Residents along Dale Drive want drivers to slow the hell down. I can sympathize - crossing that street on foot can be daunting.
- A water main break disrupted service to a lot of homes in Silver Spring. You can all breathe easy, however - I wasn't affected.
- Reason lost out in the free library parking argument. Library patrons will get two hours of free parking, which I imagine is far more than most people would need at the library, so in effect it's the same as providing unlimited free parking. The rationale behind the argument escapes me:
Charging an hourly fee, Andrews said, would discourage low-income patrons who have no alternative mode of transportation.Gas is $4+ a gallon - how much are they spending just to drive there? The libraries in question are in Bethesda and Rockville (and ultimately in Silver Spring), which are accessible by probably a hundred bus routes between them. No alternative mode of transportation? What am I missing? Maybe the council should read this.
- Hey, another violent crime in Silver Spring. Guess where? Also, the cops had to take a guy down right near the epicenter of Silver Spring crime, Piney Branch and University. People in that neighborhood are justifiably fed up. Interestingly, it seems to me that the perpetrators in these crimes are all from other (non-Silver Spring) neighborhoods.
- Even a local newspaper calls it "Silver Springs"... sigh.
UPDATE: Silver Spring Daily Photo has posted a fantastically ironic photo today.