There doesn't seem to be a lot going on around town these days. Just more rain, it would appear. Anyhoo, here's some miscellaneous stuff I had lying around:
- I am annoyed that I have to be out of town tomorrow and will miss the St. Luke's Tent Troupe Yard Sale that was so good to me last year. Maybe it will get rained out and postponed...
Flikr user punkwalrus captured this WTF photo outside the Silver Spring Metro station. For some reason, I like how the alpenhorn is (inadvertently) parallel to the drainage pipe inside the station.
- There's lots of good stuff showing at the AFI these days. Blade Runner: Final Cut -which I still haven't seen- has been extended through this Sunday. Also, they'll be showing classic United Artists movies through July. You can bet I'll be there for The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. (I would appreciate it, however, if one of those AFI people would come out before the show and explain how Lee Van Cleaf could play two different characters in the same trilogy.)
I'd also like it if they'd screen Lawrence of Arabia again this summer. I still haven't been able to catch that one at the AFI.
- Has anyone else noticed that the "penguin" statue at the intersection of Spring St. & Ellsworth isn't a penguin at all, rather a finch or something painted like a penguin. Who do they think they're fooling?
- Apparently J.K. Rowling will be signing copies of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows at the new Silver Spring library ten years after the book was released:
Who am I kidding? We all know the new Silver Spring library will never actually be built.
- Today's Washington Times (it's still around?) has a writeup of Mrs. K's. I hadn't realized that the restaurant was no longer referred to as "Toll House". I always like that name as a kid because it conjured up images of chocolate chip cookies.
Friday, May 16, 2008