- Will even more Discovery employees be granted "eternity leave" by the company? The rumors of impending layoffs on April 9th proved accurate, and now the word on the street is that new CEO David Zaslav's next round of housecleaning is scheduled for May
6th 7th. To add to DCI employees’ angst, there is allegedly a third round of cuts planned for August. Good luck and Godspeed to you all!
UPDATE: Supposedly this next round of layoffs has been delayed due to administrative reasons, so those affected may be be getting a temporary reprieve.
Also around town:
- While Discovery may have now have some square footage to spare, the outlook for additional office space elsewhere in Silver Spring just got a little bleaker. The plan to build new office space at Studio Plaza was deep-sixed, reducing my future chances of getting a job that I can walk to and continuing to move Silver Spring toward being more of a bedroom community. Even though office space in Silver Spring is "highly desired" and hard to come by, all that seems to go up around here are new condos
- The good news: they have finally started to re-pave the northbound lanes of 29 after leaving them bare for two weeks. The bad news: they've stripped the southbound lanes of their pavement and who knows how long they'll take to resurface them. I don't know how many more manholes my car can hit before it falls to pieces.
- A teacher at Argyle Middle School in Silver Spring exposed himself to a busload of Catholic schoolgirls. Did he really expect to get away with this?
- If you are planning on taking the Metro anywhere from Silver Spring this weekend, its going to be a pain in the ass.