- Talk Like a Pirate Day has come and gone, and Piratz Tavern remains unopened. They are in danger of losing the buzz that they've been able to generate, in my opinion. I worry that Piratz Tavern may end up like Snakes on a Plane, preceded by a lot of buzz and opening to decent business but then quickly fading.
If the food is genuinely good and the atmosphere such that adults want to return, it might do OK. There's certainly an opportunity to attract some of the kids birthday party business during the weekends, but can it get the corporate crowds during the week?
UPDATE: A reader just emailed me about a recent pirate sighting.
Just FYI, coming home on Metro last night at 8:30, I rode with a couple wearing full pirate garb. When we got off in Silver Spring, I obviously knew where they were heading.
Indeed, when I walked by Piratz Tavern it was open for a private party. I peeked inside, and can report waiters wearing pantaloons and at least one with an eye patch!
- Speaking of restaurants not being open, has there been something wrong with the Quarry House lately? I tried to go there for lunch last week and it was closed due to "technical difficulties". A reader also reports that it was dark all weekend. Anyone have any info?
- The police in Silver Spring are "shorthanded" and there are "lots of
street robberies" in Downtown Silver Spring, according to this account of a meeting with the officer in charge of the Silver Spring CBD.
- Jamie Raskin's primary victory may have a negative impact on Silver Spring.
- Silver Spring has its own "School of Rock"